Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo releases 2018 Census report
(Fort McMurray, AB – February 26, 2019) – At the regularly scheduled Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo Council meeting on February 26, RMWB Council accepted the Census 2018 report. The comprehensive report establishes a new, accurate and reliable overview of the region’s population and housing.
Census 2018 was conducted in the RMWB between April 9 and July 31, 2018 and includes community populations and changes, demographic information and a detailed housing overview.
Key findings include:
- Wood Buffalo’s overall population is 111,687, which is a decrease of 10.67 percent from the 2015 population of 125,032.
- The permanent population is 75,009.
- The total shadow population is 36,678.
- The Urban Service Area continues to maintain the dominant share (67.7%) of Wood Buffalo’s total population.
- All urban neighbourhoods and rural communities, apart from Gregoire, Parsons Creek, Saline Creek and Fort McKay, experienced a decrease in population.
- Wood Buffalo has a young population, with slightly over 47% of the population between the ages of 20 and 44.
- There are more males (54.9%) than females (45.1%).
- The total number of dwelling units in Wood Buffalo is 28,281.
Census 2018 is the first population count conducted following the 2016 Horse River Wildfire and is based on residency status as of April 9, 2018. As the wildfire had significant impacts on the region’s population and housing, the primary goal of Census 2018 was to obtain an accurate and reliable count of the region’s permanent population, shadow population and housing stock.
The Urban Service Area, rural communities and temporary workers’ dwellings in the region were enumerated. All addresses in the initial municipal dwelling inventory were enumerated and a 100% completion rate was achieved. Census 2018 used three data collection methods, including self-reported online enumeration, door-to-door interviews and telephone interviews.
To view the 2018 Municipal Census, please visit rmwb.ca/census