A busy December in McMurray – So much to do with the family
Below 40 temperatures, and knee-deep (okay, maybe not knee deep, but definitely ankle-deep) snow is what December in Fort McMurray looks like. However, that doesn’t stop us from having fun with the family. Below is a round-up of a few upcoming events in chronological order. This is not an exhaustive list, as we captured what is already out there by our deadline. So please don’t write angry emails, or social media comments addressed to the writer and the editor. Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and A Happy New Year!
The Royal Canadian Legion McMurray’s Branch 165 has a list of upcoming family friendly events. It is located at Waterways - 9317 Huggard St. Have a look below:
- The 4th Annual Christmas Trivia - Dec. 17 - 7:00 pm - 10:00 pm
- First annual Snowflake Soirée Hosted by Homegrown Events at the Legion - Dec. 18 - 4:00 pm - 9:00 pm – from dinner/dance to cotton candy, build-a-bear, face painting, and so much more.
- Winter Wonderland New Years’ Eve Dinner and Dance - Dec 31 - 5:00 pm - 2:00 am.
Justin Slade Youth Foundation Christmas Party - Dec 17 - 5:00 pm - 7:00 pm - 10500 Morrison Street. Gifts, Movies, Games and Food.
The Wood Buffalo Regional Library located at MacDonald Island has free, fun, festive virtual events happening:
- Kids’ Christmas Crafting – December 19 – on Facebook - 1:00 pm - 1:30 pm
- Story Time with Santa Claus – Facebook - Dec 21 - 10:30 am - 11:00 am
- Tween Christmas Crafting – Facebook - Dec 29 - 2:00 pm - 2:30 pm
- New Years’ Eve Adult Crafting – Facebook – Dec 30 - 7:00 pm - 7:30 pm
Breakfast with Santa Fundraiser - Surekha's on the Snye - 2 Clearwater Dr. Dec 16 and Dec 17 - 10:00 am - 2:00 pm. All proceeds go to support the Fort Chipewyan Food Drive.
Imagination Library of Wood Buffalo Fundraiser - UNCOVERED: The Music of Dolly Parton – Facebook: Dec 16 - 5:00 pm - 7:00 pm.
Christmas PJ Preschool Party - Dec 17 - 9:15 am - 11:15 am. Hosted by Premier Academy Cheerleading & Tumbling Fort McMurray. 350 Macalpine Crescent #4.
Color Me Mine-Kids Night Out-Grinch - Dec 17 - 4:00 pm - 6:00 pm. 355 Loutit Rd.
Midnight Madness Market - Dec 23 – Quality Hotel - 3:00 pm - 6:00 pm. Meet Santa and maybe some mummers too.
Oil Barons 3-on-3 Hockey Challenge – Dec. 28. MacDonald Island. 10:00 am - 6:00 pm.
The Regional Recreation Corporation of Wood Buffalos annual New Year’s Eve fireworks presented by Syncrude will take place at MacDonald Island Park - December 31, 2021 at 7:00 pm.
Please contact organizers directly for ticket pricing, details as well as COVID protocols.