Confessions of a Rescue Mom
Camping With Your Pet
Camping happens to be one of my all-time favourite recreational activities to take part in during the summer/fall months. There is nothing more relaxing than being outdoors enjoying the fresh air and sounds of nature! Sometimes you just need to step off grid and rough it (ok I wouldn’t call camping in a camper roughing it, though). Rolo loves heading out camping with us, so he wanted to share some tips to make your camping trip with pet(s) more enjoyable!
1. Keep your pet(s) leashed. Holding onto your pet’s leash the entire time you are camping could get annoying but a good idea is a stake in the ground with a lead on it. You could also tie a rope between two trees and attach leash as a dog run. We have a pretty long stake with a lead that we use while we are camping.
2. Pet friendly bug spray. You can get this at local pet stores as well as online. It helps aid in keeping those mosquitos, fleas and ticks away. Also best to give your pet a once over a few times a day while camping to make sure no little bugs did get them especially ticks!
3. Shade & water. Make sure your pet has an abundance of these two things. As the sun rises & sets shade spots will change so you may need to move them a few times a day. Be attentive to your dog’s health at all times and watch for signs of dehydration.
4. First aid kit. As pets can sometimes be unpredictable and adventurous; we always pack a pet first aid kit that also includes Benadryl in case of a bee sting/allergic reaction and Kericure Toughseal which is pet liquid bandage.
5. Clean up. Be sure to clean up after your pet does its business. Also if your pet is eating outside be sure to not leave a food dish outside overnight with food in it as it may attract wildlife and insects.
Catch up with Kimberley & Rolo as they blog every weekday for their local pet blog, Confessions of a Rescue Mom (confessionsofarescuemom.com, and be sure to follow them on Twitter: @rescuemomblog and Instagram: rescuemomblog.