Jerry Neville's Top List of Summer Fun in Wood Buffalo!
1. Did you know you live in a 5-bloom community? I guess all the rumours about Fort McMurray are not true! Communities in Bloom is a project to make Fort McMurray beautiful, and they like to celebrate with their Party In the Park July 29th. Come find out what the 2015 flower of the year will be and see how you can keep your neighbourhood beautiful. woodbuffalo.ab.ca/living_2227/Beautification/Communities-in-Bloom
2. The RCMP Musical Ride is coming to Fort McMurray at MacDonald Island Park as part of the 2015 Western Canada Summer Games kick off. Bring your family to one of the three shows where you can view part of Canada’s heritage right in front of you along with local performers. This is a must see event! You can get more information with the 2015 Games. 2015woodbuffalo.com
3. This is one of my favourite events of the year because you can eat until you burst. Check out the annual Taste of Fort McMurray put on by Volunteer Wood Buffalo. Here is your chance to taste a little from several local restaurants and they promise you will leave full! Get set to taste what Fort McMurray has to offer August 22 at MacDonald Island Park. fusesocial.ca
4. It doesn’t take much to amuse me, and watching rubber ducks floating down the river is something that could occupy me for days. The Rubber Duck Race for Big Brothers Big Sisters is a fun family day and you can sing The Rubber Ducky Song like Ernie! You can buy your ducks all over Fort McMurray then you can head to the Hanging Stone River August 10 to see if your duck wins! bigbrothersbigsisters.ca/woodbuffalo @BBBSWoodBuffalo
5. No matter what you do in the Wood Buffalo area, you need to check out the Oil Sands Discovery Center to see what drives the economy. Find out everything you need to know about the oil sands, and where the industry is going. All summer long they have special programs for kids too, so plan on spending the day! history.alberta.ca/oilsands
6. It is so cool to have the Green Beast coming back to Fort McMurray August 31st! If you haven’t done the Green Beast Challenge, then you haven’t had a chance to win a free trip, or have had the fun of riding all the rides at the carnival that will be in town all weekend too! Find out why it’s cool to be green, and ride the rides at Sustainival! sustainival.com/events/green-beast-eco-challenge-2014
7. You can’t expect to see an article on what’s going on in YMM without MacDonald Island Park! Your kids will love the water park, you can enjoy the sauna, or maybe the family can play in one of the field houses. Ask about all the great programs in Canada’s largest recreational facility. A new expansion is being looked at for the Timberlea area as well. macdonaldisland.ca @macdonaldisland
8. There are days when you just need a getaway. Walk in the sand and watch your kids frolic in the water as you grab some rays and catch up on your favourite book. You can do that at Gregoire Lake just a bit down Highway 881. albertaparks.ca/gregoire-lake
9. If working out is your thing, and you want to train alongside the athletes of Keyano College, you need to check out the Syncrude Sport and Wellness Center. This is another great sporting facility that is also home to the Keyano Huskies who had their best sporting season on record last year, and according to their Athletic Director, next year is looking even better. keyano.ca/sport-wellness @keyanohuskies
10. World class theatre is never far away from Keyano College and their amazing soft seat theatre. You can become a Theatre Angel and support the arts or you can just go experience theatre in a one off. There is something for everyone in your family too, with shows for kids, teens and adults, plus there is always music with live concerts. keyano.ca/theatre.
11. If you have grabbed Your McMurray Magazine but live at camp and think it is all well and good that all this great stuff is going on, but you live so far away, don’t worry because there is a site to let you enjoy all of this. You are never more than a bus ride away from all of Fort McMurray, just check out www.mybusroute.ca for your next ride into town and fun!
12. Have you ever wanted to go jet boating on the Athabasca river but just don’t have a boat? Not a problem! You need to check out some of the great jet boaters that can take you out for a great day and cruise the Athabasca River. Just go to Fort McMurray Tourism’s website or call 780-791-4336 to book a tour with one of the many tour providers.
13. Over and above all the great golfing, world class sport fishing, hunting, quading, summer sports, community events, boating, day trips, and just the day-to-day fun that makes Wood Buffalo special, get out and see the beautiful views that living in the North gives you. Explore and make sure you see the Northern Lights, one of the gifts of living in Wood Buffalo.
For more information on our region or to help plan your stay or your visiting family’s stay in our region please contact the friendly team at Fort McMurray Tourism at 1-800-565-3947 or email@example.com.