Five Years of YMM
For five years the pages of Your McMurray Magazine have come alive with the stories of the people, places, and things of our beautiful region. We have been blessed with the talents, skills and passions of writers and photographers dedicated to telling these stories, and advertisers and supporters who passionately back our vision.
But all of this would be for naught, if not for you, our readers. When our team works on each issue of the magazine, you are who we are thinking about. The issues that matter to you; the stories that impact you; the sense of pride and excitement that you deserve to feel about your home...these are the reasons we work so concertedly to deliver Your McMurray Magazine to you.
A Brief History of Your McMurray Magazine
- Balsom Communications incorporated in June 2012 and at the same time “Your McMurray Magazine” was trade named and promotions began to enlist help for the inaugural edition.
- First edition of Your McMurray Magazine launched November 2012 and there were four editions in Volume One.
- In Volume Two we moved to a bi-monthly format with six regular editions throughout the year, starting in December 2013.
- The Happy Holiday Guide was launched in 2013 and has now seen five issues published annually in the fall.
- Our annual Home and Garden Guide was next to be added in Spring 2014.
- Volume 3 (December 2014) was when we switched from a graphic cover to a photographic one, although the cover of 3.1 was artwork from the Newsmakers of the Year feature, so the first true photographic cover was 3.2 (February 2015).
- After the devastating wildfire that swept through the city in May 2016, Your McMurray Magazine published a Special 2016 Wildfire Commemorative Edition to tell the story of the event that changed each and everyone’s lives and pay tribute to those who gave so much.
- A second special edition followed in 2017 with the publication of Wildfire: One Year Later, taking a look back over the year since the disaster as the community came together to rebuild.
- The first annual Food and Entertainment Guide (in partnership with Fort McMurray Tourism) launched in July 2017.
So much to look forward to with the launch of a new annual special edition with the brand-new “YMM Parent” brand launching in summer 2018!
On behalf of the team at Your McMurray Magazine, it is our honour to thank you, our readers, for your support over the years. We are so excited as we look to the future. Here’s to many more years of creating a magazine for everyone who lives, works, and plays here.
Thank you to all of our local contributors over the past five years. We couldn’t have done it without you!
Carol Morrissey Hopkins
Curtis J. Phillips
*A special thank-you to these contributors who have been with the magazine since the very beginning and have continued to be regular contributors over the past five years.