Arts & Culture(Archives)
Nothing beats the summer heat like an air conditioned movie theatre. While the great outdoors is certainly the best option this time of year, don’t neglect this season’s movie lineup, especially for your science fiction lover. The films in this summer’s lineup are sure to get your heart pounding!
1. Guardians of the Galaxy: To start us off is the movie I am most looking forward to this summer, Guardians of the Galaxy. I love that this is a comic book superhero that won’t take itself too seriously with funnyman, and relative unknown, Chris Pratt at the helm. He’s added understated laughs in Parks and Rec, and Delivery Man, stacking up against heavyweights such as Vince Vaughn - proving he’s the next big up and comer. In Guardians he’s taking on this intergalactic superhero story along with Zoe Saldana. Fun Fact: Bradley Cooper and Vin Diesel lend their voices to this one.
2. Lucy: This one almost looks like a prequel to the story behind the Avenger’s Black Window- although they are in no way connected. That said, Scarlett Johansson plays a warrior whose powers are triggered after falling victim to thugs. Her transition is caused by triggering her brain capacity evolving it beyond the normal 10 per cent, bringing to question - what happens when we access all that power? Despite this one co-starring Morgan Freeman, I fear it may be a hot summer mess.
3. The Expendables 3: It may be junk food for the brain but these movies are a lot of fun. Sylvester Stallone and his posse of killers are back…again. The trailer provides very little in terms of storyline, but no one sees these movies for its storyline. There will be guns, and testosterone-fueled explosions, and high octane entertainment. In this third installment the cast even includes Mel Gibson, Antonio Banderas, Harrison Ford, and Kelsey Grammer. Wait, why is Fraser in this movie- somebody, anybody?! Did I read that right? Now we are all going to have to check this one out just to see why Grammar made the cut.
4. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Despite the fact that I loved this franchise as a kid, and generally like Michael Bay produced movies, I am not convinced this one is going to be completely ‘tubular’. Its biggest obstacle in my personal opinion, the casting of Megan Fox as April O’Neil. This is an iconic ‘90s character, and Fox doesn’t have the charisma to play her. Perhaps this is the same casting director who put Kelsey Grammer in the new Expendables. I want to give Bay the benefit of the doubt here, but I don’t even think the modernized turtles can ultimately save this one. Emma Stone would have been a much better choice. – just saying.
5. The Giver: I read this book in elementary school, and can’t wait to see the film adaptation. A boy’s world comes crashing down as he begins to learn that the utopian society of sameness in which he lives, may not be what it seems. I remember thinking the book was creepy, and with a powerhouse cast of Meryl Streep, and Jeff Bridges, it’s sure to meet expectations. Fun fact: Country music darling Taylor Swift is also on this casting list.
6. Sin City: A Dame to Kill For: Finally Frank Miller, and his dark comic is making its way back to the big screen with the new Sin City. Jessica Alba gyrates back on the screen with Mickey Rourke, and Bruce Willis. In addition, Eva Green, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, and Josh Brolin will be joining the cast. The original violent narrative took me by surprise so I am anxious to see if a decade later I am more desensitized, and can handle the grotesque and surreal world unfold.