Arts & Culture(Archives)
The Affair for the Arts
YMM WAS PROUD TO SUPPORT the black-tie fundraiser, The Affair for the Arts in support of the Keyano Theatre this past April. The Affair for the Arts, presented by CBS Construction, with a supporting cast of 38 additional sponsors, was headlined by the ultra funny and proudly Canadian Rick Mercer of CBC’s The Rick Mercer Report. The annual fundraiser reflected Wood Buffalo’s passion for the arts, producing the largest level of support in its five-year history.
Wine lovers (myself included) had a great time sampling the huge variety of wine by the Fort McMurray Opimium Society and the bars were proudly sponsored by Prime Social Kitchen. As usual, the Sawridge Inn and Conference Centre provided outstanding food to sample under the leadership of Chef Clarence Buchanan.
I was lucky enough to get to spend a few minutes with Rick Mercer following the show and you could get a sense of his support for Fort McMurray. Earlier that day he even went and hung out with the Fort McMurray Firefighters during the campout on the rooftop of Paddy McSwiggins Irish Pub.
“Keyano Theatre is committed to producing top quality, memorable theatrical productions and presenting a wide variety of exceptional performing artists,” said Alan Roberts, Director, Keyano Theatre & Arts Centre.
Keyano Theatre & Arts Centre has been the cornerstone of arts and culture in the Wood Buffalo region since 1980 and each year it continues to offer affordable access to the arts. The partnership between Keyano Theatre & Arts Centre staff and volunteers in conjunction with the Keyano Foundation staff and volunteers deserve a big round of applause for their efforts. The event raised a record-breaking $92,000 and will help keep providing theatre experiences to Fort McMurray, including the much-anticipated main-stage show in 2014 – Les Miserables! Get your season’s tickets now to secure your seats to what will be another great year in community theatre.
Slides, first to last:
- Alan Roberts thanks Frank Fontaine of CBS Construction for the 3 Year Title Sponsorship
- Fort McMurray-Wood Buffalo MLA the Honourable Don Scott and Krista Balsom, YMM Editor/Publisher
- Keyano College President Kevin Nagel, local artist and businessman Frederick McDonald and Dwayne Hart, VP Finance/Administration Keyano College
- Rick Mercer and Alan Roberts, Director of Keyano Theatre & Arts Centre
- Some of the beautiful staff from Prime Social Kitchen
- Volunteers from the Opimian Society hosting a delicious wine tasting
- Keyano Theatre Volunteer Pamela Robinson poses with an event program
- 100.5 K-Rock’s Ross Jacobs doing what he does so well - the Live Auction