Micael Jesso's Fabulous, Derailed
“This is your captain speaking. Sit back & enjoy your flight.”
It’s a statement we’ve all heard, but actually enjoying a flight is becoming increasingly more difficult…especially if you’re taller than 5’2”.
Gone are the days of actual civilized air travel, where a proper flight attendant served coffee from fine china and wore Pucci suits; where travelers dressed for the occasion and couldn’t wait to get on board, relax in their comfortable, reclined chairs without bothering anyone, and arrive at their destination refreshed.
Somewhere along the way the airlines have had a really rough landing, and it’s been elbows in the ribs, heads in our laps, attendants serving Sanka and lunchboxes all while being bumped in the head with the debit machine when you try to pay for it all. The skies just aren’t that friendly anymore.
Air Canada, or as most Canadians like to call the heavily subsidized airline, Air Chaos, has announced that they are adding more seats to every aircraft, with 22 extra seats on its discount carrier, Rouge, and up to 109 extra seats on its long-haul Boeing 777. Where exactly are they going to fit an extra 109 people? Are they going to hang them from the ceiling, or are they going to just fill the aisles and have us climb in like kids getting into the back seat of a car? Perhaps one lucky passenger will get to sit in the bathroom the whole time, although it would be kind of gross trying to eat your sesame snacks or getting up repeatedly to allow someone else to…ah…use your seat.
So just how are they going to do this? Smaller seats, to begin with. Smaller frames, smaller cushions, smaller everything. Basically, if you were used to traveling in a Civic, you will now be traveling in a Miata. The other space-gaining technique used will be moving everyone closer together on what the airlines call a 30 inch pitch. That’s 30 inches from the front legs of the chair in front of you to the front legs of the chair you’re sitting in. That gives you roughly 23 inches from the back of the chair in front of you to the back of the chair you’re resting on. Now I’ll tell you I haven’t always been the happiest camper with 30 inch legs, but I am now. I can’t even imagine taking a long haul trip to Australia or Japan with an extra 109 people on board. I’ll bet they didn’t add any extra bathrooms.
It’s not just Air Canada that’s made this decision; Westjet has also jumped on board, so to speak. Westjet, who regularly reports record earnings, has also decided to add an additional eight seats to every plane. But they are doing something a little different. Everyone who has ever flown Westjet has enjoyed a 34 inch pitch seat. What they’ve done is push all the regular seats closer together to a 31 inch pitch and created three rows of an economy plus section with a 36 inch pitch, an extra checked bag and neatly placed doily on your seat. At the time of writing this, Westjet stated it was $45 extra for the economy plus seat; now this got the wheels in my head turning and I thought why not just leave the seats the way they were and charge everyone an extra $45 for their ticket? Honestly, for the sake of $45, Westjet has just changed its passengers from guests to cattle. Why is Westjet messing with us? They make money...I don’t get it.
So with all these extra people up in your business, I’ve come up with a handy list of tips to actually try and make air travel somewhat pleasant again.
• Do yoga. It will help you contort yourself into the tiny seat and perhaps allow you to bend your legs in different positions, allowing you to properly get comfortable.
• Your neighbour’s rib cage is not an armrest.
• Keep your shoes on. You may not smell them because you adjusted that air nozzle to blow any stink away from your nose, but it’s not doing anything for the rest of us.
• Unless you’re taking a nap, please keep your chair in the upright position. Also, check with your neighbour behind you; they could be juggling a cup of Sanka and have their laptop open.
• Keep your earbuds at a neighbourly volume. I understand you’re trying to drown out the sound of the engine and that baby two rows up, but you’re adding to the frustration.
• Flatulence – See step 3.
• Try and keep your legs and your bags under the chair in front of you. Spreading your legs and your belongings into your neighbour’s real estate is definitely a fowl.
• For the love of God, please, please please take a shower before a flight. A common complaint throughout airports in the Wood Buffalo region from fellow passengers and airline staff are people who just left work and boarded an aircraft. Everyone understands you rushed out of camp, everything is dirty, you haven’t seen your wife or kids for two weeks, but why should anyone have to suffer while crammed into a small metal tube with you for four or five hours? Leave some time to get cleaned up, pack a return change of clothes and shoes. It’s something so simple and can make the world of difference on your way home.
• Please be kind to one another and have patience, everybody is trying to get somewhere under different circumstances and different levels of understanding.
• Pee before you get on the plane!
1. Stein The Mens Collection are a world class hair brush company offering a wide range of textures and bristle stiffness to meet all hair types, from straight fine hair to coarse curls, R.S. Stein has you covered.
2. Schwarzkopf Professional [3D]MENSION line of hair products. Schwarzkopf brings you quality colour, styling products and the very best in professionally-inspired home hair care. Their accessible brands are easy-to-use and deliver results that are totally in tune with you and your lifestyle. The brand is constantly innovating in the great tradition of its founder. Whatever your hair type, Schwarzkopf has a caring product for you.
MATTIFYING CREAM a dry texture cream that is ideal for creating extreme structured styles and matte-finish looks.
FORTIFYING TONIC: Improve the vitality of your hair , an ideal after-shampooing treatment that activates the roots and hair. The lightweight fluid is ideal for bodifiying the hair and promoting a feeling of strength and fullness. The penetrative formulation works to stimulate the hair roots and activate growth and nourishment with a blend of Taurine and Cartine.
GROOMING FLUID: Create optimum style control as part of your hair cleansing regime with the Schwarzkopf [3D]MENSION Grooming Fluid, a lightweight formulation that promotes shine and body. With its cooling Menthol extract, the Grooming Fluid creates a sensorial experience that ideally soothes and comforts the scalp. Added Caffeine stimulates the roots to energise growth and nourishment, while Provitamin B5 penetrates the hair shaft with hydration. The grooming fluid provides light style and grooming for fuller feeling hair. It detangles and makes hair easy to comb with a natural healthy shine. Apply to the hands and work into towel dried hair after shampooing. Leave in, and style straight away for ultimate control.
ACTIVATING SERUM SHOTS: Schwarzkopf Professional 3DMENSION Activating Serum Shots contain a highly effective concentration of the 3 key ingredients Pantenol, Taurin and Carnitin. These combine to work on hair, scalp and roots to increase the production of hair factors and deliver nutrients to the hair follicle thus improving natural hair growth levels and hair density.
ACTIVATING SHAMPOO: Schwarzkopf Professional 3DMENSION Activating Shampoo combines Panthenol, Taurin and Carnitine which work together on hair, scalp and roots to increase the production of hair growth factors and deliver nutrients to the hair follicle. Panthenol provides moisture for the hair. Taurin strengthens the scalp and Carnitine stimulates and activates hair roots and helps to regain density when use as part of a 24 week hair growth regime.
GREY SHAMPOO: Schwarzkopf [3D] Mension Grey Shampoo gradually eliminates unwanted yellow tones in grey and white hair.
TEXTURISING CREAM: Define your hair with the Schwarzkopf [3D]MENSION Texturising Cream, a natural finish cream-paste that helps you to create movement and texture in your hair. The versatile formulation is ideal for short to medium length hair, providing effortless support for your style without greasiness. The dry, non-shine finish makes for a more pliable styling experience, and allows you to define your shape with ease.
STRONG HOLD HAIRSPRAY: Schwarzkopf [3D]Mension Strong Hold Hairspray, a lightweight spray that offers both a firm hold and a flexible finish.
3. Sure Thik is great product for men or women who have experienced hair loss or thinning hair. You simply sprinkle on Sure Thik 100% Natural Hair Fibers along with the Fiber Locking Spray and they attach to your own hair creating thicker looking hair, its waterproof and windproof so you wont have to reapply throughout the day. The best part is no one will know. Available in a range of colours.
4. Razor Blade Sharpener: A revolutionary blade enhancement tool that extends the life and sharpness of razor blades and in the process -- improves every shave and saves men big-time MONEY. Innovative invention is a small silicone plate that instantly sharpens razor blades, making them as good as new by eradicating shaving grime, the key culprit of dull blades and shaving irritation. Just a few strokes a day will extend the life of each blade up to 150 shaves, making expensive razor cartridge refills and dull-bladed shaving a thing of the past. Eco-friendly too.